Monday 31 December 2012

2012 Year End SP: Top 5 2012 Japanese Movies

What I expected to see this year. It's worth the wait.

2012 is also a great year for Japanese movies and here are my top 5 list of my favorite Japanese movies. Because I don't live in Japan, this list also includes movies that have their home video release this year.


5. K-ON! the Movie
I admit, I didn't watch the second season but it didn't hinder my enjoyment of watching this movie since this movie is basically an episode of K-ON! that lasted for more than an hour with a plot that has something to do with the main four members of the Light Music Club graduating from high school and decided to have a trip in London before they graduate. Its fun, it's cute and lastly, it's also an emotional roller coaster ride as the movie deals with issues related to graduation and leaving an underclassman behind. [MOVIE REVIEW SOON]


4. Kaizoku Sentai Gokaiger vs. Space Sheriff Gavan the Movie
Though at first I am having a hard time accepting the fact that this Super Sentai Versus movie will feature a crossover with Space Sheriff Gavan since it doesn't make much sense, I ended up actually enjoying the movie. Aside from having three Kenji Ohbas in one scene and references to past Space Sheriff programs, it also gave us another side of Marvelous' past that the series didn't explore. It's entertaining and gave me interest in watching some shows in the Metal Hero franchise. Too bad, not all of them are fully subbed. [MOVIE REVIEW SOON]


3. Ace Attorney
Before watching the movie, I decided to play the Nintendo DS port of the original GBA game since hey; it's the only version available in English! After finishing four chapters of the game, I got more hyped in watching the movie and boy, I am not disappointed. To sum up the movie, this is the closest thing we have for a good video game live-action movie adaptation. [MOVIE REVIEW SOON]


2. Kamen Rider x Kamen Rider Fourze & OOO: Movie Wars MEGAMAX
After two Movie Wars movies, this movie finally got the perfect formula for a Kamen Rider crossover movie without it becoming a Super Sentai Versus movie. The way how they tied up the events of the OOO and Fourze segments to the main plot of the movie is superbly done. The fights are really amazing especially the movie's climax scene. [DIRECTOR'S CUT MOVIE REVIEW SOON]


1. Rurouni Kenshin
After much anticipation, I was able to watch Rurouni Kenshin twice when it hit Philippine cinemas earlier this month. All I can say is the wait and the Facebook campaign in bringing this movie to Philippine shores is worth it. This is one of those Japanese comic book movie adaptations that really worked thanks to how it faithfully recreated the setting of the original manga into film. To put it simply, it's hard to describe this movie in one paragraph, so here, just read my review of this movie. [READ MOVIE REVIEW HERE]

Special Mentions
Here are some movies that I anticipated this year, only to end up getting disappointed.


Sadako 3D
The movie's concept is interesting but as for the rest of it, it was... horrible. Seriously, I need to forget the fact that this movie features bad CGI Sadako zombies and a lame male protagonist, who happens to be the same guy who played Kamen Rider Kiva! Until now, I regret watching this movie when it hit Philippine cinemas earlier this year. [READ MOVIE REVIEW HERE]


Kamen Rider x Super Sentai: Super Hero Taisen
It has an interesting concept yet failed in terms of execution. Seriously, the plot is so bad that I want this movie to end as soon as possible. Also, a lot of characters seem to be out of character and that's a bad thing. The viewer loses their money while Toei is swimming on a heap pile of cash. Oh well, at least the final scene of the movie is really amazing. [MOVIE REVIEW SOON]