Monday 4 March 2013

Power Rangers Megaforce 04 – Stranger Ranger

Aaaand training episode!

In this episode, a guy is claiming that he is a Power Ranger just to get attention. Will he learn the lesson that it takes more than just desire to become a hero? Also, the Power Rangers train to defeat one fast enemy.


For an episode focused on Troy, this episode feels more of an episode focused on the guy who is pretending to be a Ranger, later identified as Jordan. The reason why I don't feel like this is an episode focused on Troy is aside from the actor's bad acting, is that Jordan's side of the story overshadowed Troy in this one. It is because he is a more relatable character compared to Troy. The guy just wants to become a hero and he thinks that claiming that he is a Ranger will make him more of a hero only to learn at the end that it takes more than just the desire to become a hero to become one.

Even if that is the case, he is one of the guys I feel like he deserves to be a hero and makes me wish that he will become a hero in some point in the series. As for the training part of this episode, from the use of Invocations in Goseiger, we have... bottles and I like it. The thing with bottles aside from being environment friendly, it's as unpredictable as the strong gust of wind and hey, will you let teenagers face raging storms just to learn sensing? As expected, they were able to learn sensing, which they used to fight the MOTW.


Speaking of monsters, unlike the previous episode that uses a lot of new footage, I can't help but notice that this is one of those episodes that use a lot of stock footage. Heck, they even recycled some footage a couple of times! Even if that is the case, they were able to use the stock footage to establish a couple of things, the rivalry between Red and Creepox. I will not further discuss their fight since it can be summed up as willpower vs. brute force and besides, I already talked how much I love the fight between GoseiRed and Dareptor in the source Goseiger episode.

I will not talk about the giant fight in this episode because I already said my thoughts about it in the original Goseiger episode. The only thing I can say about the giant fight is how they edited the original Goseiger stock footage to make it look like that Red didn't revert back to normal like what happened in the original Goseiger episode. Lastly, the introduction of the Land Brothers, it has the same feeling like that of the Goseiger episode except that it feels more like they earned the card for the sake of plot convenience with Gosei acting as the plot device.


So yeah, episode ends and Jordan confesses that he is not the Red Ranger. But we will still root for the guy, after realizing his mistake; I want him to become a Ranger someday. I mean, if they can keep on foreshadowing about the Great War for episodes now, I guess I can get my hopes up if he ends up becoming a Ranger in the future that is if this episode is actually a foreshadowing about his future as a Ranger.